Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ultrasound Update


This pregnancy has been so different from my other two, and now in the third trimester with barely 10 weeks left till my daughter is born, I am noticeably smaller, and far more comfortable than I ever was at this stage of pregnancy. So when my midwife asked me almost two weeks ago… “Do you have any concerns?” I brought up my size. Of course my fundal height measurements also confirmed that I was smaller.

Not enough for too much concern, or extreme worry, but we decided to go for an ultrasound. Now, I know that the accuracy of ultrasound in the third trimester is not that great, typically the results can be inaccurate or wrong up to 25% so I was sure to keep that in the back of my mind when I headed for my ultrasound today which would measure my daughter. Which I had them double check the baby was still penis free.

She looked awesome, while small, she is still within the normal growth range. In the 2 pound ball park range, and the 20th % for growth. (Normal is considered 10th % – 50th%)

After the technician was done with the measurements, he went to check everything over with the Doctor at the office before I headed out, like they typically do. The doctor then came in to chat with me about the results of the ultrasound. First she highlighted everything that looked good, or normal.

Then towards the end of the conversation she brought up the concern about the size/circumference of my daughters head. Normal is again considered 10%-50% and while my daughter is measuring in the 20th%, her head circumference is measuring in the 9th%. She assured me repeatedly this was nothing to worry about now. But, I have to go back in three weeks for another ultrasound to check on the progress, and growth of her head again. If there are any worries at that time, then I will have to sit down with my providers to talk about the possibility of growth restriction, which is what this could be a sign of.

I am hoping and praying that over the next three weeks this baby will turn into a giant, and have a huge head next time I go for an ultrasound. But it is hard not to think about it for the next couple weeks knowing that everything could be just fine, or something could be wrong.


Now we wait, and we hope and pray that everything is ok :)

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Praying everything is okay!

mom2natnkatncj said...

My friend had this with her last 3 children. Everything turned out fine. They were small at birth, but all in all healthy. She went for weekly NST's and they also did growth scans and checked on the blood flow frequently, but in the end they all came out and were healthy babies and just fine.

Anonymous said...

Well look at it this way. If normal is 10-50, you are just 1 tiny percentage point away from being in normal range. Now please try not to worry too much and get good rest & take good care of yourself. She just might be a little peanut and that's ok. By the way, I'm not sure what growth restriction is? I never heard that term with any of mine. Take care & stay positive!